Saturday 2 May 2020

Day 40: BoxVR (PC/VR)

Bringing a little sweat to my ongoing efforts to play one from my 600 game backlog for every day that the UK is in lockdown...



BoxVR for PC/VR
Previous days' entries can be read HERE

I need to start this one with a couple of confessions:
1 - I’ve actually been playing this for about a week
2 - I’ve never played Beat Sabre, a game to which this is apparently similar

That’s the admin out of the way, and so on to BoxVR, AKA Boxercise 2019, AKA Guitar Hero Punching Edition. 
It should be made clear that if you’re looking for a VR game that’s going to teach you how to box, this isn’t it. There is nothing in BoxVR that teaches, or encourages, good boxing technique.
This also isn’t the game for you if you’re looking for a great game that’s going to get you fit - this isn’t a great game and, from the videos I’ve seen, Beat Sabre is where it’s at if you want a game first and workout second. BoxVR is the other way around; there’s not a lot of ‘gameyness’ about it, but it can be a bloody good cardio workout.

I should clarify at this point, that I’m not a fitness focused person. I have a rowing machine and a pair of 4kg weights in my games room but they haven’t been used for far too long. Additionally I spent the first three weeks of lockdown eating everything in sight, and then finding the stuff that wasn’t initially in sight and eating that too.

BoxVR starts with setting up a profile that includes your daily target in minutes played. The game does include a calorie counter as you play but it makes it very clear that this is for reference only. As best I can it is calculated from the amount of movement feedback from the controllers.

Then you choose your workout based on duration alone, there’s nothing to tell you how intense a routine is or how balanced. You can add a filter to remove those with squats but, in my opinion, that would be a mistake.

In game - or ‘during the workout’ I should really say - You stand one foot slightly in front of the other (this switches intermittently) and punch red or blue orbs as they fly towards you.
It really is very reminiscent of Guitar Hero only in place of red, blue, green, yellow, and orange keys, you have jab, uppercut, hook, block, and squat. 
The patterns are apparently designed for the best cardio output and I can attest that, when it’s mixing uppercuts and hooks between squats at a fair pace, it definitely works.
There’s a decent variety of music to swing along to, and all of the workouts are mapped incredibly well. Each registered hit (scored on accuracy and timing) emits a percussive thud that makes all of the guitar tracks sound like Meg White is guesting on drums.

The best thing about BoxVR for me is that it makes you forget you’re doing exercise. I’ve been doing the 1hr routine every day for nearly a week and that time absolutely flies by. I’m no expert, but I’m sure there must be some additional mental benefit to having to concentrate and co-ordinate under physical duress.

I’ve lost 3 pounds in the short time I’ve been enjoying the game, and if I’d stopped living on Cocktails and Cake too, who knows how much more that would have been.


BoxVR - Not a great game that’s a workout, but a great workout that’s been made into a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment