Tuesday 30 June 2020

Day 99: Limbo (PC)

On the edge of hell for today's randomly selected title from my 536 game backlog (already reduced by over 100!). I'm playing one a day, every day, for as long as I'm furloughed from work...


Limbo for the PC
Previous days' entries can be read HERE.


'Limbo' is a game I didn’t so much ‘know about’, so much as ‘know of’.
I knew a lot of people liked it, I knew it was short, and I knew many have hailed it as a very special game, a game that deals with, or produces from the player, ‘EMOTIONS’.

Well, I guess infuriation and annoyance are emotions…

I expected, given that the average play time is less than 3 hours (according to Gog Galaxy) that I was going to be able to finish 'Limbo', do a nice write up, and have it all done and posted in time for the 3pm peak reddit traffic time.

I was very late getting started due to prepping for my 24 Hour Charity game marathon tomorrow (more info on that below) but I think I’ll not miss my deadline by much because, at one hour and twenty eight minutes in, I’m completely over 'Limbo'.

There’s no denying this is a beautiful game. It’s eerie monochrome hues create a wonderful backdrop and the minimalist approach to sound design not only helps create an oppressive atmosphere, but means that sound cues for puzzles can be easily heard.

That 'Limbo' is a puzzle game was a bit of a surprise. Coming in blind I guess I expected more of an action adventure, but this is very much a title in which you walk right until you find a puzzle, solve it, and continue right to the next puzzle. Which is where we encounter my issue with the game.

'Limbo' likes to introduce each puzzle by killing you with it. 

More often than not, the mechanics of, or solution to, a problem are not revealed until you’ve died at least once. This is a deliberate design decision and one that, given the overwhelmingly favourable reception the game received on release, and the weight of positive opinion it has amassed over the last 4 years or so, most people are ok with.

I am not okay with it.

Now, given the name of the game, and the fact that puzzle solutions involve, among other things: The systematic dismemberment of spiders, the use of floating corpses as a bridge, entrapment of small creatures into slavery, and the cold blooded murder of at least three people before the half-way mark, I’m going to assume this will all come back in a clever and and ‘emotional’ way in the denouement, during which the player will doubtless realise the horror of the atrocities they’ve performed in the name of continuing right, and the endless cycle of death will be revealed to have some higher meaning.

But what’s the point if the game is so annoying that I’ll never see it? (Or know if I’m right?)
The whole problem is exacerbated by the fact that the puzzles aren’t difficult or complex by their nature, but are made to feel so through their cheap reveals and the imprecise controls afforded your bright-eyed avatar.

Anyone who has been reading these posts from the beginning might remember this little nugget that I’ve found myself trotting out over the years:
"It's the game's job to keep the player engaged from start to finish, not the players job to keep playing something that is not engaging them."

Which is where I stand with 'Limbo'. I understand that I’m in the minority, and I get that I might be missing something by not sticking with it. But I’m not enjoying playing the game, and without that, there’s no point continuing.

Limbo - Beautiful, stylish, eerie, and mind numbingly annoying. Not my cup of tea.

To celebrate day 100, from 7am UK time this Wednesday I'll be playing video games for 24hrs straight to raise money for MacMillan Cancer Support. The whole thing will be on Twitch if you're interested - Visit my 'Game Heroes' page HERE to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment